Saturday, October 24, 2009

H1N1 Update

Well, I'm very happy to say Gabe is all better! Wednesday he was fever free for 24 hours, so he went to school on Thursday. He was quite happy to be "cold" as he put it when he felt his head! His cough is almost completely gone.

Jaden, I thought maybe had missed it, as he only had a fever for one day. Even though his fever went away, his cough persisted and got worse. Thursday night he woke up crying, coughing so hard I thought he would throw up. I gave him something, rubbed some baby vix on him, and stayed up with him for a little while. My friend gave me a really weird recommendation that seems to work, too. A spoonful of chocolate syrup. I know, weird. It only helps for a little while but it helps before the cough medicine kicks in. And lets just say he doesn't mind the taste!

Today he may be a tiny bit warm again (my mommy hands to the forehead would guess under 100), and this morning he complained of a tummy ache. Now he's playing nicely.

My friend, Bekke, asked me if I thought it was worth getting the H1N1 vaccination. I really didn't have to make that decision as the virus came here before the vaccine did. Would I? I don't know. The vaccine hasn't been tested long enough to see if there are any side effects (aka: it's new). So I would wonder if it was safe. BUT...like influenza...kids have died from H1N1. I'm not the expert, so don't quote me, but I've heard fewer people have died from H1N1 than Influenza in a year. But, what if my child was the one? So I don't know. Like everything in parenting...kids don't come with a manual, and you just have to rely on God and do the best you can!! Sorry, Bekke, that I don't have a better answer! I think whether or not to get the vaccine is every parents personal decision.

This Momma has been tired and taking naps all week (fighting something off?) and today has a bit of a tummy ache herself. Yikes! Hope that's all it is.

3 comments:

one happy family said...

just hearing another mothers opinion helps me :) thanks Carey
xoxo

Sara said...

A few recommendations from CDC...
1) You should still get the H1N1 Vaccine, unless you have a lab confirmed positive H1N1 2009 diagnosis. (positive Influenza test at dr's office doesn't count).
2) Pregnant moms, and children 6 months - 4 years are at highest risk for H1N1.
3) Of course it is personal choice to get vaccinated or not, but the "newness" of the vaccine for H1N1 is mostly hype. Yes - the actual vaccine is new, but it is made the same way as seasonal vaccine, and by the same manufacturers.
Also you can rest assured the H1N1 will be in your seasonal "flu shot" next year.
Hope this helps - sorry - I work with this daily with my job, so wanted to share some facts.

one happy family said...

Thanks Sara:) However, we don't get the flu shots. It is one of the vaccines we have chosen to forego so whether to get H1N1 is a new choice... I know a lot of it is hype on BOTH sides and it is so hard to know which one is the right one. Just when I am convinced I know the "right thing", something else comes out that sways my decision! Ugh. Anyhow, if you have made your choice, happy for you that you can relax! Take care,
Bekke :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Total Pageviews