Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!!!


Looking back at the last 24+ hours...good times. I'm thankful for them!

Yesterday afternoon Jaden, Summer and I went to the school's Thanksgiving chapel. Shianne had to read a Thanksgiving prayer she wrote. I just may have to post it here later on...it was beautiful. Prayers don't have to be beautiful, just simply talking to God. But Shi has a way with words.

Then, because of a little rain, Brandy was home last night. Yay! So we were all able to go to church together. The service was so uplifting, and such a reminder of all we have to be thankful for. Once again I was proud and amazed at my eldest, who went up to the open mike to say what she was thankful for.

I hate to say the last week I've been getting a little grumpy, and not at all as thankful as I should be. There are only a couple more weeks left of harvest--Praise the LORD!--but I'm getting a bit stressed out by single parenting. Brandy works crazy hours during this season, and there are often days in a row where the kids don't even catch a glimpse of him. He comes home only to shower and sleep.

So, while sitting in church last night, I wondered about the timing for me of Thanksgiving. I have SO MANY things to be thankful for. And I know that. But my heart wasn't feeling it. Till last night and today. It was the best time for Thanksgiving...cuz it reminded me to be thankful.

Our family tradition is Thanksgiving breakfast. The girls set a beautiful table, and we have a feast of cinnamon rolls and juice. Daddy brings home kernels of corn, and everyone gets five.

Sidenote: Either I never knew, or I've forgotten. If just "so happens" that one of those first winters the pilgrims were rationed 5 kernels of corn a day to eat. Wow. We heard that at the service last night, and also discussed it as a family.

We have a hardbound journal that we use from year to year, and we each say 5 things that we're thankful for (while I write them down)...throwing a kernel into a basket as we do so.

It took a little longer this year!! =) But how wonderful. How wonderful to have Svanna, Gabe, and Summer home with us this year!!
Frosting the cinnamon rolls...
Getting the kernels off the ear...

Because we're getting together with family this weekend for Thanksgiving, we were free for Thanksgiving dinner. So our friends, Rich and Stacy, invited us to eat with them. How wonderful! What a great, relaxing time.

Here's Rich, carving the turkey...Here's Brandy, carving Rich!Brandy, slicing the ham. I actually made the ham. It was my first time, so I was thrilled it turned out. Yay!The 3rd graders showing off the placecards Hannah made...Havin' a good time at the "kid table"...Because we stayed and chatted for quite a while, Summer and Jaden missed out on their naps. I was afraid they would be grumpy, but they did well! However...later on we watched Miracle on 34th Street and Jaden didn't make it through the movie! Too sweet.

1 comment:

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

So nice that you could celebrate with your beautiful family -AND- your beautiful friends. Love you all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Total Pageviews