Next Days Note: My point here was not to diminish problems of those in the spotlight, for they have their share of heartache. But to show how our (my) focus can be off this time of year...all of the year really.
First let me start by saying we had a wonderful evening celebrating Christmas with our extended family! I'll be sure to post pictures soon, hopefully tomorrow. But at the moment I have a musing brewing in my head that must be written down.
I watched my kids open wonderful gifts, most getting just what they wanted. How fun. How magical. Especially for the 3 that have never celebrated Christmas before! They've been enjoying the lights, the decorations, the food, the music, the fun, the Christmas atmosphere, and of course...the presents. And I've been enjoying them.
I must add (before I go on) that they are also enthralled with Christ's birth. How the first Christmas story unfolded, and just Jesus and God in general. It's wonderful.
But my focus on this musing is that, for the most part, we--as a society--and ME, as a person, have taken Christ out of Christmas.
By "blessing" my kids...am I making them materialistic?? Have I taken Christ out of Christmas?
Oh, no no no. Surely not. We talk about it. We go to church. We're in the Christmas program. We sing songs about it. We have an advent candle in our home. We have nativities sitting around. Our countdown to Christmas is a magnet nativity.
Ok. Really?
Maybe I haven't taken Christ OUT of Christmas. But He surely isn't at the center of it.
Gifts are. Fun is.
Those things are fine! All good and dandy. But I feel our balance is OUT OF WACK.
Forgive me. I just got done reading People Magazine summing up 2009 and this past decade. I'm a bit jaded.
I'll admit. This is a magazine I pick up when at the doctors office. Just to sneak a peak. I actually feel sorry for all those in the spotlight. The paparazzi is awful. But still, it's fun mindless reading 5 minutes here or there.
But I got an issue in a fun grab bag at our Christmas party tonight. It was actually a cute little bag of stuff. For some reason I devoured the mag tonight.
And now I'm puking it back up on you. (sorry) Like eating too much chocolate, the taste has made me sick.
Who's cheated on who?
Who's now gay?
Who's died?
Who did we used to love, now we hate?
Who did we use to hate, now we love?
Millionaires with financial woes
Cleavage.
More cleavage.
Who's the sexiest?
Who's the worst?
Who's the best?
Money. Money. Money.
Fake. Fake. Fake.
Pretend. Pretend. Pretend.
WHATS THE POINT?!?
There is none.
It's Xmas. Not Christmas.
It's time for me to find my Christ this season. And give him MY spotlight. And go back to ignoring the spotlight on the world.
Praying this week, we're all able to find our CHRISTmas spirit.

2 comments:
So hard isn't it? Even with all of the good intentions? I have been so convicted this year...we rush about and push and shove and lose our patience all in the name of buying gifts to give for WHAT? Does God really care that we're giving gifts and does it bring Him glory?
I know, I know...the kids, and I would never want to take that away from mine; but we've gone too far, haven't we?
Right there in the same rocking boat with you! Let's say we step out of the boat and grasp the hand of the one that stilled the water. Love you my sister. Love your honesty.
Post a Comment