Monday, February 22, 2010

Mom Shorts I

Ok, here it is, the start of "Mom Shorts." Little tips and quips that hopefully will help you in some way, shape or form. Rest assured, if I don't use an idea (even if its great and I wish that I did!) I won't post them under this title.

I'm also daydreaming about a cute little picture to go with each post. How often will I post Mom Shorts? Hmmmm...not sure yet. We'll see how it goes.

I debated whether to start off Mom Shorts with something profound, or just a little tip that would make your life easier. Since sometimes what we need is just a little something, we'll save profound for later.

So our first tip deals with (drumroll please....)

LAUNDRY!

Ok, ok. I am far from a laundry expert. In fact, I am NEVER caught up. I'm not sure that's even a possibility. At least for me. So, I probably shouldn't be giving any laundry tips.

When your 8 year old from Ethiopia asks you when you're ever going to wash her sheets...well, you get the idea.

In my defense, keep in mind that even though I have the biggest commercial washing machine available, one that will hold about 2 loads in one, 8 - 10 loads a week doesn't cut it. What that does is ensure is everyone has at least one pair of clean underwear, a clean shirt, a clean pair of jeans, and a clean pair of socks, or at least socks that they can borrow from their brother or sister (or mom, or in my case, hubby).

So...here's the Mom Short for the day...

If you have a delay function on your washing machine, use it.

I told you it was a simple tip. Here's how it works. Before you go to bed, load the washer. You know you probably have a pile ready that you don't have to sort, just taking up space, so it won't even take much time. Insert the laundry soap and softener (or in my case, vinegar) into the appropriate dispensers. Delay it for 8 hours (or if you're me and up all hours of the night, probably 6). The point is, that about the time you're up and walking around, you want it to beep at you that it's done.

Here's the reason it works for me. Even though I've been known to let laundry ferment in the washer more than a time or two, I hate it. I cannot stand the smell of wet laundry that has stood for a minute too long. I also don't like the guilt trip of the wasted resources used to rewash it (guilt trip? Now that's another Mom Short. A more profound one by far). So even though I don't even want to go into the laundry room in the morning, I will...just to transfer. Oh shucks, there's laundry in the dryer. Well, I don't have a place to dump it (if you do have a place to dump it, set something there, NOW so that you never do) so I'll have to fold it. Now I'm ready to transfer. Oh, and now that the washer is empty, I might as well fill it up again with that pile over there.

See what I mean? It gets you going. You don't have to think, man, I need to get to the laundry today. You already did.

If you work outside the home, along with inside the home, use your delay twice, once before bed, and once before work to tackle after work. Well, unless you're not like me and one load a day will do ya.

Till later...

Me

4 comments:

JulieM said...

Thanks for the great tip!!! Laundry is my greatest downfall and my worst nightmare all at the same time. I keep thinking if I have a laundry room on the main floor someday it will make all the difference and I might actually enjoy doing wash! I think it is just a nice thought! I will have to try this!

Susan Kooi said...

Hey Carrie - I absolutely hate to do laundry also. I do not have the opportunity to have a large wash machine so am basically doing laundry everyday all day! I have a tip that works for me. I bought small hampers for all 5 kids and a big one of John and I. When it is clean - I sort out the laundry into each of their baskets and then will fold when I put it all away. To me it seems like it elimates a step. Also - if I don't get it put away - the kids know where to find their clothes!!

Carey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carey said...

Susan, thanks for the great tip!! I can't imagine how much your machine must run. Go get em girl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Total Pageviews