Sunday, March 21, 2010

I'm Amazed...

...that at the end of this day I can still say it was a really good day!!

Stayed up too late last night.  Woke up to kids fighting (great way to start the day, even when you're already a not a morning person...today defined as c.r.a.b.b.y.  Yes, I get crabby!).

Made it to church, the late service.  Although then the day started picking up.  Took delight in the fact that we were having a Belgium Waffle lunch at church (I'd forgotten).  Since I had no idea what was for lunch and we'd get home late going to the 10:45 service...now lunch was easy!  Yay!  And who doesn't like having waffles with syrup and whipped cream for lunch?  Can you say...legitimate dessert for lunch?

Even with seven kiddos in church, today they were quite well behaved and I got to listen to the message.  And it was one of those that really sticks with you and teaches you.  Wonderful.

My sweet hubby sent me out to the van by myself after lunch.  Even though my day was going much better I must have had "a look."  He took care of getting the kids coats and stuff corralled.  So I got to walk out to the van in...drumroll...SUNSHINE.  BY MYSELF.  In the QUIET.  Can I break out into song?

When at home, I needed to do a little cleaning and prep work because we were having a sweet, newly engaged couple over for supper.  I was still tired, and cleaning is not how I usually spend my day of rest.  But had in mind that at 3:00 pm I was going to take a little cat nap in my deliciously warm sunroom.

We were grilling tonight (this is pretty gross...bear with me).  The dogs couldn't get down the deck steps this winter due to a 4 foot drift that covered the steps and beyond into the grass.  I tried to scoop it one day and gave up.  So we let them poop on the somewhat less snow covered deck.

Well, the snow melted.  Even though we had periodically picked up poop, apparently there were layers of snow/layers of poop.  So when the snow melted...you guessed it.  We were the proud owners of a poop deck.  Sigh.  My darling hubby scooped it up.  But there was still a "residue."  Because it was nice out, and we needed to use the deck, I asked him to take the hose and wash it down.

I was in the house.  I thought I heard water running, but couldn't discover the source.  Then it dawned on me that Brandy had started the outside spigot.  It must have just been louder than I remembered.  We'd only used it once since we moved in last fall.

I kept cleaning, watching my husband work outside.  I even cleaned a couple windows, just for the joy of the sweet smell of water mixed with sunshine.  Smells like spring!

Back in the house, I still marveled at how loud that spigot was.  I happened to walk past the basement steps.

Is that water I'm hearing in the basement???

I ran down to check.  Unfortunately, this is what I saw...


Ok, this picture was taken AFTER I ran up the steps yelling for Brandy to TURN OFF THE WATER!!!!  If it had been before, you'd have seen water pouring out from that little piece of insulation up there.

Apparently...ahem...we had left a hose attached to the spigot all winter.  NOT SMART!  Thankfully, it was just the spigot that froze, and it froze ahead (or behind, whichever way you want to look at it) of the shutoff valve.  So we didn't have to stop all the water to the house, only shut off the spigot.

But WHAT A MESS!!!!!  Ack!!!

There were things on top of the dresser that were ruined, and just about everything in the dresser was wet.  So I sent Brandy off to Hy-Vee to get a Rug Doctor (praise the Lord they were open!!) and Tye, Gabe and I started emptying the dresser.  Wet clothes in a laundry basket.  Wet things on the basement table.
The kids were fabulous about helping.  And amazingly, I never lost my temper.  Although when Tye and Gabe thought it was fun to jump and see the water splash up...I have to admit I almost did!

Here the kids were cleaning out under Tye and Gabe's bed.  It was a mess BEFORE the water hit it.  Now it was a watery mess.  Ruined books, wet toys.  Ah well.  What I did learn was a couple hours before Brandy had told them to clean out underneath thier bed.  Oops!  Now there will be some consequences for not listening.

Brandy sucked about 35 gallons out of the floor, and it's still wet.  We have two fans and 3 dehumidifiers going (thanks Rich and Stacy!).  And tomorrow we'll get an industrial strength dehumidifier from the rental place, and I'll contact a carpet cleaner to have him check it out.

NOT how I thought I'd spend my Sunday afternoon.  Good-bye nap.

But!  It's all ok.  I'm so grateful the boys had just picked up most of their room and vacuumed.  So grateful Brandy was home.  So grateful I noticed it.  So grateful it was clean water.  So grateful Hy-Vee was open.  So grateful the kids were home...many hands make light work!!  So grateful the rest of the house was clean so I didn't get more overwhelmed.  So grateful the laundry room was ready for another load (after Svanna switched it over).  God is good.

Our friend, Yaby, a college student from Ethiopia, came over shortly after that (I still managed to remember to put the cheesy potatoes in the oven!) with her fiance, Dustin.  What a wonderful couple!  We haven't gotten together nearly often enough with Yaby this year, and so now we're hoping this will be the start.  We had a great time with them.  They're lots of fun and really sweet too (I'm sure Dustin will appreciate the sweet part, haha).

And our good friends, Mark and Juliann, were in town.  The live about 3 hours away.  We really only got to see them for a few minutes, but their daughter hung out at our house with Shianne tonight while they had to do a few things.  I'm grateful for their hugs as well. 

Well, I had to pause in the middle of this post for more poop patrol.  The naughty Shelby (shih-tzu) doesn't like it that she has to be tied up now that the snow is gone (or she'll venture too far away).  So she's occasionally liking to thank us for caring for her safety by pooping in the house.  Ah yes.  And when I went to clean it up and flush it, I found that toilet was plugged.  So...trek the poop to another bathroom and get the plunger.

Ah...yuck.

And I can still say it's been a good day.  Hallelujah!!  Don't like tomorrow's plans.  So after today I think I should be hopeful that it will be better than I think.

Oops, there goes the dryer.  Better go switch it out so the boys don't have to go to school commando tomorrow!
.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Total Pageviews