Ok, I'm calming down a little bit. Grace, Carey. Grace. God gives it to me in abundance, overflowing. Give it away.
A couple of minutes ago I was so mad I could spit. Yes. Spit. And you should watch me spit. I'm not a spitter. Brandy laughs at my (un)ability to spit. But angry I am.
It angers me when people twist and turn things. Or they blow up a small percentage of cases in order to tear down beautiful things.
The latest? Making adoption, especially in the U.S., out to be nothing more than a booming business with no governing boundaries. Child trafficking, no less.
Is there corruption in adoptions? I'm sure. Evil abounds on Earth. And it makes me sick. Especially when that evil makes God-honoring things look bad.
But when the media attempts to make it look like foreign adoption in of itself is evil? It sickens me. And when well-meaning people support this? Well meaning people who love orphans and love Christ, yet are working to bring the whole structure of international adoption down?
That brings me to my knees.
Oh my. Look what I just said.
I've spent the last hour and a half stewing in anger about this nonsense. Important nonsense, but still. I've only sent up popcorn prayers. And only one or two. I need to be on my knees. Not only in sorrow, but in prayer.
Excuse me.
.

6 comments:
But when evil rears its ugly head, isn't it the duty of Christians to call those evil-doers to task on it, especially if it involves the safety of children? Shouldn't we be doing our best to ensure that adoption is totally above-board? Isn't that the best thing we can do for the future of adoption?
I am the adoptive mom of two beautiful children from Ethiopia. I pray that everything my adoption agency did was legal and appropriate, for the sake of the children who are currently waiting for families.
I believe that media attention is sometimes necessary to keep corruption from happening. Agencies (adoption and the agencies in other countries who are responsible for that end of international adoption) must be held accountable, and if they don't hold themselves accountable, it sometimes requires a spotlight to make sure it happens.
I don't think a negative media story will cause those who feel called by God to adopt to stop. It may mean jumping through an extra hoop or two, but isn't that worth it for the safety of children, particularly orphan children?
You're right. We should all be on our knees praying for the children who have been hurt by corrupt agencies and the people who feel justified in turning a blind eye. I am thankful you are certain of your childs story, of your process... Many of us thought we were but sadly had that reality shattered and are left picking up the pieces. I hope you can open your heart to see that those of us who won't stand by and let the corruption continue are doing so because adoption IS good and caring for orphans IS what we are called to do. I can't find any biblical backing for burying ones head in the sand. Nor for allowing horrible things to happen to children and birth families just because of the greater good.
Thanks for your comments, gals! I appreciate your stopping by and your comments.
I agree, I don't believe negative media will detour adoptive families who are called by God. But it may shut countries down, as it's done in the past.And then those children have little hope of finding families. Literally, foreign countries shutting their doors to adoptions. Countries that decide that no adoption is better than bad media.
And I don't know for certain my childrens stories. I may never. And I don't advocate at all turning a blind eye. Evil needs to be stopped. I'm just not sure that the media is the right tool to do so.
But today I rest in God's assurance that He is in control!! And He loves the orphan like no one else. Hallelujah!
I can relate and understand. I think what frustrates me is not the negative media, necessarily -- it's the lack of positive to keep it balanced. I'm all for transparency and found in our adoption process that 2 added "hoops" we were required to jump through late in the game were our biggest blessings, b/c they give us some level of assurance (though I don't think we will ever know anything for sure this side of heaven).
But when all that's printed, or televised, or heard is the bad, the worse, and the downright dark... well, that angers me too, Carey. It angers me b/c it paints a picture of our families that those outside the adoption community can buy into without realizing it.
So. We continue to "defend the cause of the fatherless" with the passion given to us by the One with Whom adoption originated! And sometimes we get angry, because we want to see justice -- and justice, for me anyway, includes ALL sides of the story.
Well said, Heather.
Post a Comment