My friend, Jennifer, sent me a link to High Calling Blogs, and specifically to this post about orphans. She asked me to consider linking up our "story." Our story has many facets, but there's one facet on my heart at the moment to share.
Where to start?
How about that I TOTALLY agree with the author of the post that as Christians we are to take care of orphans. God commands it in the Bible. I'm not saying that it is everyone's calling from God to adopt. I'm not. However, it IS everyone's responsibility to do SOMETHING.
And frankly, as Christians?
We're failing.
My heart is hurting at the moment. I just spoke with another adoptive mom who was telling me such a heart-wrenching story.
A 19 year old mom, in the UNITED STATES. She has no one. No family. She has a 3 year old and a 7 month old. So tired from living in shelters and not knowing where their next meal is coming from, she's giving her children up for adoption.
So our first responsibility? Why are we not out there keeping families TOGETHER? I'm also looking in the mirror on this one folks. At the shock on my face that this happens in the United States. My naivety. That people fall through the cracks in the U S of A.
See, my children are from abroad. Abroad...where to them nearly everyone in America is rich. And it's true. Even if you struggle to feed your kids. If you're able to feed them...if you have a roof over your head...if you have a car or even a refrigerator...comparably? You're rich.
That's my Ethiopian kids' story. Poverty. The kind we don't see in America. Poverty that's everywhere.
I don't know my Chinese son's story. He was abandoned. But I can imagine it. The one-child policy over there makes things incredibly hard. They are encouraged (or sometimes forced) to abort or be sterilized if they already have one child. There is no Baby Safe Haven like we have at hospitals here. It's illegal to abandon your child...no service available to put your child up for adoption...and yet even possibly illegal to give birth to a second child. My son's family placed him somewhere he would be found. I imagine it was his birth-mom. I imagine her crying as she waits in hiding to make sure he stays safe. Like the story of Moses.
Adoption is a scary thing. It's unknown. It's hard.
But it's also a beautiful thing.
God CREATED adoption. As Christians, we're all adopted into His family. He even sent His Son to Earth and gave Him Joseph...an adoptive father. So much His father that in Matthew One, it traces Jesus genealogy through JOSEPH, who he was no "blood-relation" to.
My adopted kids are just as much my kids as my biological kids. My genealogy is now theirs.
When God called us to have 7 kids I figured either He was nuts or I was (the more logical choice was me!). But now I wouldn't trade it for the world.
What's your story when it comes to orphans?
Are YOU called to adopt?
Are YOU giving money to support those who are (unfortunately adoption is expensive)?
Are YOU giving money to keep kids from becoming orphans?
Are YOU praying daily for the orphans and hurting families?
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27

4 comments:
Thank you for sharing your heart here. What a blessing to have such a diversified family!
My heart is definitely for young moms like the one you mentioned. I can not relate to what they are feeling, but I do know that I serve a God that can, and He will use me to show them His love if I let Him.
Blessings,
Melissa
Some of my dearest friends are adoptive parents. In fact, two of the families just got matched with their children this week...one from Ethiopia and one from China! It is funny because I totally agree with you and yet, at this time do not feel called to adopt myself, I would, however love to work at an orphanage, even move to another country an care for orphans in a safe and loving environment, I just can't seem to get my husband on board! Thanks for sharing!
First of all, as the author of that post over at The High Calling, I appreciate the encouragement that I obviously hit on something right!
I also want to thank you for sharing (part of) your story! The challenge is awesome! I totally agree that EVERY ONE of us can and should do something!
I'm actually going to be leading a workshop at the conference I mentioned in the post on that very subject... the idea that even if you're not 'called' to adopt a child into your home, there are still LOTS of ways to support the cause.
Thanks! I look forward to additional parts of this story! Please feel free to share additional links on that post!
I came over from High Calling...the situation your friend mentioned is one that is far too common in our country. I am in the middle of a similar situation, providing full time care for two babies whose mother wants to keep them but needs time to get on her feet after losing her husband. Her situation breaks my heart but it is a joy to be able to care for these babies and give them a chance to be a family. I look forward to reading more about your wonderful family!
Post a Comment