Friday, February 18, 2011

Book Review

Do you remember way back when I said I was going to do some book reviews?  Hmmmm....

Maybe it's cuz I haven't read too many books.  Maybe it's cuz I just haven't gotten around to doing it? {Some of both, most the latter!}

But I HAVE to tell you about this book.

The Hole in the Gospel  by Richard Stearns.

Oh. My. Word.

Everyone in the whole wide world should read this book.

Richard Stearns is the President of World Vision.  A title he does not take lightly, and yet at one time did NOT want.  He really makes you think.  What are we doing?  As Christians are we just enjoying our pretty little lives while we ignore the hurting?  It's definitely easier to do that.

He'll educate and challenge you.

He'll ask you why we're quick to judge and slow to love.

He'll back it up with scripture.

Even if you are not a Christian, you just might enjoy this book.  It's about how so many of us are unfortunately FAILING as Christians.  Ouch.  Myself included. To what Jesus has called us to do.  Maybe if you read the book you would see who Jesus really wants us to be.  Like Him.

Here's a snipit from page 278:


"I've seen the hungry fed and people taught to fish and farm.  I've watched wells being drilled and cisterns being built--the thirst given water.  I have seen the sick healed, the lame walk, and the blind given back their sight.  I have met refugees who have been resettled, disaster victims who've been restored, and captives who have been released.  I've seen widows comforted, orphans cared for, children freed from slavery and abuse, schools built, clinics opened, babies vaccinated, loans lifting the poor out of poverty--I've witnessed these things with my own eyes....

...I know these things to be possible...


Catch the Vision!


Picture a different world.  Imagine one in which two billion Christians embrace this gospel--the whole gospel--each doing a part by placing his or her piece into the puzzle and completing God's stunning vision of a reclaimed and redeemed world--the kingdom of God among us.  Visualize armies of compassion stationed in every corner of our world, doing small things with great love.  Imagine the change.  Might the world take notice?  Would they ask new questions?  Who are these people so motivated by love? Where did they come from? Why do they sacrifice so to help those the rest of the world has forgotten?  Where do they find their strength?  Who is this God they serve?  And most important, Can we serve Him too?  Can you imagine this different vision for our world?  Can you glimpse just now what God longs to see?"


Prepare to be moved.  Prepared to be challenged.  Go read it.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Total Pageviews