Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Book Review

Here's another review for WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group!

31 Days of Power, Learning to Live in Spiritual Victory
author:  Ruth Myers
4 stars

An excerpt from the back of the book, to help explain what the book is about:

"As a follower of Jesus, you are engaged in a battle against a treacherous enemy.  But the might power of God is yours through Christ's victory on the cross of Calvary."

This is a devotional about spiritual warfare.  It may sound crazy to you, but in the last few months, God has brought the unseen battle of good vs. evil to my mind often.  So I was very interested in what this book and the authors had to say.  Ruth and her husband had worked as missionaries in Asia for nearly 50 years, so I'm sure they saw their share of spiritual warfare.

I would not categorize this book as a devotional, or what you would traditionally think of as a devotional.  I would call Part I a "prayer guide," and Part II a brief delve into The Dynamics of Spiritual Warfare. I would suggest reading the two parts simultaneously.  To me it was more helpful to start reading the daily prayers while reading about spiritual warfare at the same time.

As a prayer guide, it is amazing.  There are daily prayers.  The prayers are based on scripture and have helped me in my prayer life.


I was a little disappointed with the explanation of spiritual warfare and how we, as Christians, can combat the enemy and his forces.  While the author explained herself well, I believe she left some things out.  That's why I gave it four stars out of five.

But overall, I was pleased with the book, and hope to use the prayer guide for a long time to come.



Although it did not affect my opinion, I received this book free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing for this review.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Total Pageviews