Sunday, August 28, 2011

Motherhood

Motherhood is a deliriously strange and wonderful thing.

I would imagine that fatherhood is as well...but I am not experienced in fatherhood.  Only motherhood.

Tomorrow my firstborn will be a teenager.

In just a few hours, thirteen years ago, I would go into labor.

And by 6:55 am, after hours of not even being sure if there was even a baby "in there," I met my beautiful Shianne Beth, and became a mother.

Thirteen years ago.

Motherhood is strange.  Strange in that, while I would love for time to freeze so that I could savor every age, every stage, every moment...

...still I rejoice with them in every new stage and moment.

Where I would ne'er have them stop growing, where I want with all my heart for them to grow into strong, responsible, loving, caring adults who put God first in their lives...

...yet I long to see them as little babies.  As toddlers.  As preschoolers.  To once again hold them during those times. Those of my children with whom I got to have a front row seat at those stages, and especially those of my children of whom I missed those stages.

Eagerly awaiting the future, yet longing for the past.

That is motherhood.

And what do I need to take from this life of motherhood?  To be thankful to God for the gift of it, and to savor every moment.  The present.

1 comment:

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

"Deliriously strange and wonderful." ... What a perfect summation of motherhood. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Total Pageviews