Saturday, May 1, 2010

Pressure Valve Confessions

Today, at Sierra's dance pictures (which can be stressful events in themselves, but that's another post!) a newer friend slash adoptive mom friend slash blogging friend, Niki, invited me to go out with some gals for supper tonight, if it worked out.

I really enjoy hanging out with Niki, even though I usually don't get the chance.  So I loved the invite.  Brandy has actually been home more this week because of rain.  But I expected it had dried enough that he could be in the field again tonight.

Well...it didn't.  He was home by 3 o'clock.  And he said I should go.  Yay!

It was a great group of gals, and I'm so glad they included me.  One of the topics that came up at supper was...

"What's your pressure valve release?"

In other words, what do you do to release stress?  So we went around the table--there was 7 of us--and listed off different things.

And you know what?  I have a LOT of things.  That dawned on me tonight.  There are a lot of ways that I de-stress.  Relax. How cool is that?

So many people say they don't know how I can do it.  Be a Mom of 7.

The obvious thing is relying on Christ.  That really does go without saying.  But should be said.  Without Christ, I would be a total basket case.  He's my Rock.

But with that foundation, there are many other ways that I handle the stresses that come with being a mom, and with life in general.

  • Shower.  I am one of those wasteful people who every other day or so take a steaming hot, 20 or even 30 minute shower.  Ahh....
  • Read.  I LOVE getting lost in a good Christian novel.  Focusing on someone else's life and hopefully learning something at the same time.
  • Walk.  This is a old yet new thing for me.  The ankle wouldn't take it for so long.  And before that I lived on a gravel road.  It worked.  I did it.  But now I have the amazing luxury of having a bike trail in my back yard.  Fabulous.  Either with a friend, alone listening to the sounds of life, or pumping along with my ipod listening to some good Christian tunes.  Fabulous stress reliever.
  • Nap.  I try to lay down for 15-20 minutes before the kids come home from school to recharge while the little ones are sleeping.  Makes me a much better Mom when they walk in the door.  I'm a bum, I know it and I accept it!  *smile*
  • Blog (big surprise huh?).  Just getting it down on "paper," thinking it through.
  • Browse Blogs.  Love it.  
  • Get Out without Kiddos.  Either with my wonderful hubby or girlfriends.  This doesn't happen so often, but is wonderful when it does.
  • Call a friend.  'Nuf said.
So there's a few for ya.  How do you de-stress? de-compress?  release your pressure valves?

It's important.  Find your pressure release valve gals.  Preferably a healthy one.  You're worth it.  Totally.




4 comments:

Nikolyn said...

thanks for posting on the de-stressing. I didn't get to that! Thanks, too, for sharing a few of your precious hours with me. It was wonderful to be out with beautiful, interesting women! Oh, and the food was good, too! Hope to run into you again, soon!

Van Beek family said...

I am so glad that you were able to come along with us. We loved having you join the group last night!

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

OH, so very cool. I love the idea of a "Pressure valve release." Awesome! Love your list of ideas.

Becca said...

I'm so envious of you...you didn't have to add EATING to your list. That would most certainly have to go in my top ten "pressure valve releases". Thankfully running in also up there in the top 10. I like to think it all evens out...right? Maybe? Happy Mother's Day, Carey.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Total Pageviews