But still it was a little hard for the kids. No tears. Just sad determined little faces. We had this one longer than others, and we were getting more attached. She learned her name, was no longer pee-ing on my floor (BONUS for this Momma), and loved to cuddle and play. She hardly ever whined. She was hard to let go of. But...7 kids, 2 dogs and now 2 hamsters (oh ya, I forgot to tell you that story! A good one for later) is enough in this household for now. I have to admit I did breathe a sigh of relief tonight as I had one less pup to let out side, feed, water and just generally take care of. The kids are a good help during the daytime, but that's part of my nite-time routine after they're in bed.
So...instead of going to read a very good book that I have, I have this post rambling through my head and decided to write instead. The book can wait (although not too long I hope!).
Is it worth it? The question I ask myself every time I have pups. There are costs of course. Stud fee, shots, food, and vet care. Those are monetary costs generally offset by the selling costs. Gut wrenching feelings as little newborn puppies don't make it. A bit of stress trying to sell them. Saying good-bye to little darlings. Those are the emotional costs.
So do the benefits outweigh the costs? In other words, will we do it again.
A couple of weeks ago I said I was DONE. Gabe told me we had to have puppies again, cuz the white people had many times and the black people only one time. Don't you love the way that kid thinks? If you don't quite understand what he's getting at (it took me a minute), our Ethiopian kids have only had one litter of pups in the house, and the other kids have had more.
But, as I knew I probably would, I've softened. We probably will do one more litter. Maybe only one more, because Shelby doesn't have to "earn her keep" too long! In other words, I don't want too many pregnancies to make her old before her time. We love her.
But the benefits do outweigh the costs.
I barely notice them the first 6 weeks. Except for removing dew claws. Ok, that one can go into the cost pile!! But really, Shelby takes care of everything. Feedings, clean-up, everything.
It's when I wean them that we get more work. Poop patrol. A bit of whining. Washing the towels we put down. A bit more whining. But by 8 weeks they're usually sold, or just about.
Ok, I was getting at benefits. *smile*
There's something about a puppy (unless they're "going" on your floor at the time) that just makes you smile. They are so stinkin' cute. Amazing. It makes you feel like all is right with the world. Or, at the very least, this little corner. The snuggles. The toe nibbles {see above}. The puppy kisses. Their silky soft fur. How they bounce through the grass. How they run up to you like you're their best friend. Yes, it's worth it.
And many life lessons are learned through the costs. Lessons learned about life when 5 puppies become 3. Lessons about being careful with something so little and so precious. Sharing lessons. Sharing play time with a brother or a friend who stops by. Sharing permanently when they get adopted. Life lessons in taking your turn cleaning up puppy poo and wet towels. Life lessons. Good ones.
Or the fun in seeing a young couple get a puppy. My first "baby" is our cocker spaniel. Poor thing became more of a dog when Shianne was born, but you get the idea. The fun in seeing the joy on kids faces when a Dad finally says, yes, we can bring her home. Precious.
Yes, the Lord willing--we'll probably do this again.
*Sierra saying "good-bye" to Katie before she went to camp yesterday,
knowing she'd probably be gone before she got back.*



No comments:
Post a Comment