Monday, January 24, 2011

Takin Care of Momma

Whew!

I did it!  Well, close enough for me anyway!!  Yippee!

My face is still red and my breathing still a little labored, even though I've been off the treadmill for a while.

I've been meaning to blog about this, for I don't know...a month?

See, it would have gone perfectly with the *New Years Resolution* type of things.

But this is more of a goal than a resolution.  And I'm more determined about this than I ever have been about a resolution.

I want to run a 1/2 marathon.

{Pause}

{Pause}

{Pause}

Ok, hopefully I gave you enough time to get the guffaws, gasps, and giggles out of your system.

Those that know me now know that I am NOT a runner.

Those that knew me when I was young would know that I was NOT a runner.

I was always the last of the pack in P.E.  Gasping for air, hoping I wouldn't DIE before I made it to the end.

Yep. That's me.

Ok, confession time.  I've been watching Biggest Loser.

Before you laugh again, those folks work hard!  They push and they work and they strive...hard.

I was inspired, I guess.  I wondered, have I ever really pushed for something like that?

I mean, I've gone WAAAY out of my comfort zone.  Definitely.

But I don't think I've ever pushed for a goal like this.  Nothing physical anyway.

I want my kids to see me set a goal, and meet it.

I think that would be pretty empowering for me, as well.

So...in November, we bought a treadmill.  Ya know, after falling and breaking my ankle, snow and ice covered roads just ain't gonna cut it for me.  Come, spring, come!

I started out running about 60 second intervals at about 4.7 mph.  Yes, my daughter told me that wasn't really running.  But to me...it was.  Run for 60 seconds, walk for two or three minutes, you get the idea.

I haven't been running 2 days in a row for the sake of my ankle.  My ankle is doing fabulously, but I don't want to overdo it.  And at first, it complained a little.  Also, there have been weeks when I only ran once or twice cuz I've been going to Zumba (dance aerobics).  I really enjoy going to that when it works with my schedule.  As long as I don't look in floor to ceiling mirrors while I'm there.  *smile*

Today, I met a goal!!!  Ok, almost.  And I'm sure I'll tell you when I officially do.

I made it 2 miles in 26 minutes (and 15 seconds, so not quite)!!  Just over a 13 minute mile.  Which, to runners, isn't much.

But to me?  Amazing.  I had to run 2.5 minute intervals, sometimes more.  At 5.5 to even 6.1 mph!!

My lungs burning.  Sweat dripping off my face (yes, sweat even hit the treadmill).  My legs saying, "OK, you can stop any time now."

But I did it.  I pushed through.  I persevered.

Looks like you just might see me in a 1/2 marathon in 2011.

Little by little, step by step.

I'll get there.

Update:  Brandy did the math last night and helped me figure something out.  I remembered my first mile yesterday was 13 minutes 30 secs.  That means, that my SECOND mile was 12 minutes 45 seconds!!!!  I not only met my goal but I exceeded it!  Woot!  Woot!  Woot!

5 comments:

Ryan and Dyan Vander Sluis said...

Awesome goal, lady! Bryan and Kelly VG challenged me to run one in June 2011. I haven't run in a long time, but I thought I'd give it a try! Here we go!!

patty said...

Good for you, Carey! We watch Biggest Loser also and I'm always inspired and challenged by how hard they work and how focused they become. Keep up the great work!! :)

patty said...

Good for you, Carey! We watch Biggest Loser also and I'm always inspired and challenged by how hard they work and how focused they become. Keep up the great work!! :)

Becca said...

You can do it Carey! I did my first triathlon last year and I can not put into word the feeling you have when you cross that finish line. I can tell you it will be worth every minute of the training!

This is one of the quotes that came to mind MANY times during my training. I believe that is it SO true. "It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse." - Ann Trason

Good Luck Carey

Unknown said...

Run Carey Run !!! :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Total Pageviews