Saturday, June 30, 2012

Mom Shorts XIII...Tutorial

Which one do you like best?


 Me too, me too!!  hehehe



 Okay, I'm being a bit presumptuous that your style is like mine, and that you agree that a bronze finish is the BOMB!  Good-bye gold, good-bye! (My apologies of gold is your thang, but in my mind, it's gotta go!)

Brandy gave me a new kitchen faucet and hardware (even a kitchen sink!) for Christmas.  And I'm finally getting around to changing these babies.

Why buy new light fixtures when you can change them for around seven bucks?
I just used these:


 First I covered them in the one on the left: Dark Bronze.  Then I lightly sprayed on a couple of coats of the Metallic Oil Rubbed Bronze.

Okay, here it is....

A TUTORIAL!  From little ole me.  hehe.  I'm a bit excited, can you tell?
I'm sure there are bigger and better tutorials all over the web, but this one's mine.

First, have a handsome and handy man take them down for you:

{Ok, so here he's really putting it back UP, but he is super handsome}

Then cover any wires or other pieces you don't want spray painted with painters tape.


I sprayed the base plate on some newspapers out on the lawn in my paint clothes.  Not that it over-sprayed on  me, but just in case.


I wondered how in the world I was gonna spray paint something tubular and have it turn out.  My also-very-intelligent hubby suggested hanging it in a tree by the wires (which he said wouldn't hurt them).
It worked!


If you haven't used spray paint before, you may want to practice on something a little less intimidating. I actually used these colors on a sign and decided they would be a great match for my kitchen hardware.

Apply very light coats.  Here is my first coat.


See what looks like tarnish on the bowl-part (yes, I'm technical)?  That's really spray paint.
Now right ABOVE that by the tube shape (technical again) is a tarnished/rubbed off spot.  Hey, these babies are eighteen years old.

Guess what?  If you're going for the look that I was, it's ok if you miss a spot.  My handles look a little "rubbed" with a tiny hint of gold showing through.    

Here's the finished product again, just in case you forgot...
{and notice I didn't make my kitchen perfectly clean before I took the picture! Proud of me?}


The next project?  Well, the other light of course, which is currently drying in the tree.  THEN this beauty.


I can't wait!!

Linking up to...
Tip Junkie handmade projects  
 

3 comments:

gail said...

A whole new look for a bargain price!

Wendy said...

This is such a great idea. I have brass fixtures in my house and I HATE them. I think this is what I will be doing.

Andrea @ Decorating Cents said...

So much better. I love spray paint!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Total Pageviews